INTRODUCTION TO IMPLANT DENTISTRY
With the advancement in dentistry procedures for replacement missing teeth have also advanced Implants are the advanced way to replace missing teeth. An implant is a tiny titanium screw which is drilled in the bone to replace the root of missing tooth. As titanium is biocompatible material so there are very less chances of rejection by body. Implant Osseointegrate with bone and hence implant gets stabilize and becomes part of our jaw bone. As implant gets integrated to the bone, an abutment is attached to it. On the top of abutment a crown is placed over the abutment to replace the missing tooth. To give fixed dentures to the patients. Implants acts as a boon to denture wearers.
Implant placement is generally done under local anesthesia. After implant placement generally takes about 3-6 months depending upon amount & quality of bone available for the implant to Osseointegrate with the bone of your jaw.
Any number of implants can be used to replace teeth as per number of teeth lost. To assess a good candidate for implant placement, we record complete a medical and dental condition which includes all past medical and dental history. X-Ray or CBCT scan is advised to assess the amount & quality of bone in your jaw. In case of If bone is not healthy or deficient it can be corrected by bone grafting surgery done mostly at the time of implant placement depending on the situation to provide a healthy bone.
A dental implant is screw shaped used to place in the jaw bone to replace the root of a missing tooth. Implant is made up of titanium, a biocompatible material, so that the human body won’t reject these foreign objects thus preventing any infection. The process of implant placement is technique sensitive so it should be done by only highly qualified and experienced dental implant specialists.
Advantages Of Implant As The Best Replacement Option For A Replacement Of Missing Tooth Are:-
- As the adjacent teeth are not touched, as in a bridge(F.P.D) procedure where adjacent tooth support is taken for replacement of missing tooth because of which it is considered as the most conservative procedure for replacement of a missing tooth.
- It is the only replacement for a missing tooth which gets stabilized in the underlying bone like natural tooth.
- Like natural tooth implant supported tooth is having good efficiency of chewing, looks and ease in speech like a natural tooth.
- Implants give comfort and confidence to the patient after loss of tooth/teeth.
- After having dental implants patients can chew and digest the food comfortably.
- With the help of implants Patient’s loose lower denture are firm & fixed so they feel relaxed as their dentures are firm and prevents many problems like clicking sounds and sores because of loose denture .
- Better chewing of food is achieved hence improve distribution of biting forces.
If patient maintains it in terms of good oral hygiene, and follows instructions as advised by doctor implant can last lifetime.
If Implants placed after loss of natural tooth it prevents premature bone loss associated with loss of tooth.
“Dilemma among patient’s whether I am a good candidate for implant or not?
Prerequisite for successful implant is overall good health. If individual is having any pre-existing disease it should be under control and all blood test parameters should be within normal limits with medication than also Implants can be placed.
Along with general health oral health is also important. Individual should have healthy gums and bone. In case bone is deficient for implant placement than bone grafting/ bone augmentation may be needed as per requirement. Individual should be willing to follow the oral hygiene practices and visit the clinic for regular checkups.
Preparation For Implant Surgery.
- Individual should have a proper night sleep.
- Individual should not skip a meal on the day of the surgery ie meal before surgery should not be skipped.
- Individual should have all the medication as prescribed/advised by dentist.
- To make yourself comfortable during procedure individual should wear comfortable clothes while coming for the surgery.
- No cosmetic products should be used as we have to scrub the area around the mouth.
Post-Operative Instructions After The Implant Surgery.
- It is advised to place cotton pack for 30 minutes after the surgery. AVOID SPITTING for the first 24 hours as spitting can initiate bleeding.
- Anaesthesia will wear off in about 1-2 hour so be careful while eating during this period.
- Avoid hot drinks and food for 24 hours after the surgery.
- Take medicines as prescribed/advised. As prescribed medicines will help you to make you comfortable after the surgery.
- Avoid using a straw and aerated drinks.
- While sleeping raise your head slightly raised with a pillow.
- Mild soreness/swelling & discomfort might be present but nothing to worry in that case as it will go off in around for 48 hours.
- It is normal if you have a slight blood ooze during the initial first 24 hours.
- Hot fomentation should be avoided only ice fomentation is advised.
- Avoid smoking for successful implant as smoking will lead to its failure.
- In case of any problem feel free to consult doctor.
- At Dentesthica we give personalized attention to all patients.
Care Required For Success Of Dental Implants-
Oral hygiene maintenance is the key for successful implant. For maintenance of implants instructions should be followed as advised by doctor which includes Regular dental checkups and professional cleaning every three months in the beginning and subsequently every six months.